Once the classification has been assembled, further practice is conducted as follows.
Receptive and Expressive Practice:
- the students "receive" the sound from the teacher and point to the spelling;
- the teacher points to the spelling and students "express" the sound of the spelling.
- With control of jaw and tongue, the students say the sounds of the vowel classification in the order:
ee - i - ae - e - a - u - o - au/aw - oe -
- Students place the spelling tiles on the vowel assembly with assistance until each student can complete the task easily and independently.
- Once the vowel assembly can be completed easily and independently, students proceed to written practice in which alternative spellings are also used.
- The amount of practice needed by an individual student will vary greatly.